Last updated on February 23rd, 2024
Introduction to Class Methods in Python
Class methods are a useful tool in the Python programmer’s toolbox. They allow you to define methods at the class level that can be called on either the class or an instance.
Compared to regular instance methods, class methods:
- Can be called on the class itself
- Don’t need to instantiate the class
- Can’t access specific instance data directly
In this guide, you’ll learn:
- The @classmethod decorator syntax
- When to use class methods vs regular methods
- Class method use cases like factories and constructs
- Best practices for working with class methods in Python
Knowing when and how to use class methods will help you write more flexible and reusable object-oriented code.